The Visitor
There is a car moving slowly east past a car moving slowly west. And people walking hurriedly from the dark parking lot through circles cast down from yellow lights above. Fogged by the cool drizzle of a mid-November night, the street lights offer each solitary figure a dramatic anonymous walk-on as they make their way to the building across the way. A distant fading siren sound is drowned by the louder thrashing whir of a helicopter dropping carefully down onto the rooftop.
In the lobby, the conversations are hushed, yet anxious. People seem huddled in small worried circles. The hallway smells of linoleum wax laid down over an antiseptic wash. The door to the room makes a sharp metallic click each time it opens - crisp, like the cocking of a rifle in the stillness. Flowers on the window sill smell funereal, and the water stained cards beneath the vase spell out best wishes unread. The solitary breath in the air is sweet with medications that overpower even the flowers.
Behind the eyes that can't see out but only in, there is a certain kind of blackness, a blackness blacker than any black a conscious mind might describe. A panorama of nothingness wherein the mind can only whisper to itself. So Billy lies there and blabbers on to ears that cannot hear him. Not even the nurse, standing at his side calibrating the plastic narcotic drip could hear such murmurs at that great distance.
The doctor's report is delivered in a low spoken monotone into the telephone at the nurse's station.
"...is stable...no response to stimuli along any modality...comatose with sporadic autonomic reactions...." He speaks the data into the system one elbow down on the nurse's desk, massaging his forehead with a thumb and forefinger as though to coax out all possible observations just made. He pauses to look down the long hallway as the elevator bell sounds. It was Billy's girlfriend, Sandy. He puts down the phone and turns with a soft smile as she approaches.
Billy Wakes Up To Nothing
"I don't know if this is good or not. I am awake! But, to what? My tongue seems buried in a tar pit. Tar entombs my ears as well, and my sinuses. I have a hazy image of Sandy. Is it her, or just some picture I am holding?
"Sandy?!" Am I dead? I don't think so. There is some kind of steady drumming. There is some humming buzz running through me. It is as though my body is going on without me. Talking to itself. I think I am in some kind of trouble. If I am wondering anything then surely I'm not dead. But then, where are my hands? This is pretty fucking weird. Why am I never hungry? I don't even want a beer. I remember Sandy's fingernails digging into my stomach. But, I can't remember why."
Far away where he cannot see or hear her, Sandy sits close to Billy's bedside and doodles in her sketch book. It had been three months now since it happened.
Monday, December 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
So descriptive and engaging.
It is as though my body is going on without me. Talking to itself. I think I am in some kind of trouble. This really sets up Billy's predicament, makes me care.
Am reminded of two things. First, a story that was on the news Monday night about a fiance requesting her comatose boyfriend to be given Ambien (story here).
Second, is the 1960s movie Johnny Got His Gun that has never left me. Huge impact.
Lydia. I didn't see the movie, but I read the book and it is gut-wrenching and devastating. If everyone read that book, I don't think there'd ever be another war.
Good beginning. I'm in for the ride.
I've had two childhood friends who were comatose. Both from vehicle collisions back in the 1960s.
One of them was only comatose for a week and is alive today. The other was comatose for over a decade with his mother and sister providing around-the-clock care until the day he died.
Dee. It is had to imagine the hardship of those around one in a coma for so many years. I am hoping there might be a light at the end of the tunnel in this story I am constructing in my mind. Your post today on the spectrum of autism was really sooo fascinating!
Brilliantly set up! Smells, sounds, sights, and a myriad of sensations. Not to mention the situation itself. What is it like to live entirely in one's own head...
Thanks, Stickup. It's a beginning and the central issue is what actually does happen to this person who is somehow mentally alert but removed from reality. I would think that in a prolonged state of utter sensory deprivation the 'ego-centered' mind would get fractured, divided, scrambled up, etc. I anticipate multiple personalities emerging in his mind, and so on. We'll see.......
Extremely engaging. You don't find posts like this everyday.. Brilliantly written. Keep it up
Huh? What happened to my comment, I know I read this and left one..?
Darn.
Shrinky, I'm not sure....I know you left a comment on the more recent post that also included the episodes shown here. I would never delete any comment from you. However I just did delete four or five from commercial spammers who seem to have discovered this blog-address. Curses!!
I am so pleased to have found your blog
Louis Vuitton bourses apporte une tempête de la mode chaud pour lv sac sale le monde entier pour son look étonnant et merveilleu design.Louis Vuitton est l'un des fabricants les plus agressifs. L'entreprise emploie 40 avocats à temps plein et 250 enquêteurs indépendants à travers le monde, et l'année dernière à ses agents ont été impliqués dans 4.200 raids sur les réseau de contrefaçon et 8.200 actions en justice. Des entreprises comme Kate Spade, Chanel et Coach, dont le portemonnaie sont également largement copiés, sont membres des consortiums de plusieurs fabricants de luurygoods qui facilitent crises civiles et pénales de marchandises de contrefaçon. Sacs à main en le sont seulement à la mode comme les sacs à main et sacs à main, et il ya certainement quelques modèles assez peu qui sont disponibles aussi bien. Vous devez acheter les sacs à main classiques de mise en page, qui est brun foncé leatherbased avec les symboles en bronze de Louis Vuitton qui apparaissent tout au long des sacs à main. Votre Pochette est une autre forme de son pursess pour vous de jeter un oeil à; les pursess sont suffisamment peu de la taille que vous devez emporter partout, mais il faudra certainement répondre à tous vos articles importants, tant de gens simplement l'utiliser comme un petit fourretout. Le style classique est produit de dim luuriante brune ornée de minuscules leatherbased rou louis vuitton portefeuilles distribuer à travers la conception Louis Vuitton Toile Damier sac. Ce délai d'un portefeuille de la plupart de favori sans aucun doute un de la Pochette ce qui est certainement un design chic nouvelle d'inclure à votre sélection de style et de créer une affirmation de conception comme par aucun moyen avant. Ce type de portefeuille Louis Vuitton a beaucoup de confort pour l'homme ou les revendications des femmes et vous devriez également effectuer un démarrage en les regardant à l'occasion, vous devez impress.It est dit que l'envoi de la capacité à la cérémonie sont ajoutés régulièrement fera progresser l'accord parmi les amateurs . Achetezvous une allocation de vous amant fréquemment? Et qu'estce que vous achetez habituellement Louis Vuitton sacs? SaintValentin 2009 away.What anesthésié avezvous acheté pour elle sur la SaintValentin? Quelque chose comme les roses, anneau de diamant ou une montre acclamé? J'accepte elle serait ajoutée admirer si vous béatifique elle une indemnité de hâte pas encore l'altitude referred.Gift n'est pas le ressort de women Louis Vuitton sac prix.Gift pour lui est l'affaire de plus de Louis Vuitton hommes pursess lv nouveau sac.If obtenir l'adulte et pursess alerte Damier Graphite hommes Vuitton comme cadeau, ils seront être portemonnaie ecited.Damier graphite vuitton hommes n'est jamais chancre ou monotonous.Multifunctional portefeuille damier graphite hommes rend l'activité des hommes est acceptable et fast.Tie réelle important dans l'activité circadienne de cachet men.Men 's et de l'apparence peut être absolument affichée par le tie.While Louis Vuitton cravate des hommes la volonté de l'affectation du cachet des hommes qui seront absolument le globe oculaire de women.Love lui, et lui acheter un pursess Damier Graphite.
Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Yang along, nonetheless get may be the make use of a Microsoft Office Standard 2010 typical enhance of greenbacks stimulates, even though clients are definitely not important, just like the getting the tunl coupled with exclusive, you have got to sector plug-in, must be to look for the exclusive sizes to be able to certified start , removing unpleasant oppositions. Microsoft office 2010
Post a Comment