(The following episodes follow the one in the post below it where the story first began)
Chapter One continues....
JOSEPHINA
They embraced in the doorway. She was in a long and well-wrinkled white cotton nightgown and she smelled like a woman just waking up. Any smell of Josephina never failed to arouse him. But even as his hands slid down her back and fanned out over her hips she was onto him.
"What is it now?" she asked, nuzzling her sleepy-eyed face beneath his chin. He lost himself in her thick dark hair wishing things could just be simple for awhile. And in his long sigh, he whispered out these words.
"Balthazaar is alive. And maybe Violet too." He tightened his grip around her, expecting her to faint. She didn't. Just some several abrupt sobs making her face wet against his neck and her fingernails digging into his shoulders. And then she pulled away.
The wooden tabletop was embellished with colorful burnt out hardened wax puddles of by-gone candles. They seemed a subtle history of evenings he had spent there with her, drinking wine and whispering. He sat and looked at her. She had her back to him, cracking eggs into a bowl. Whipping them. Pouring them into a black iron skillet. He slid her gown off her ample body, in his mind. Funny how such thoughts can erupt like that.
"How can you say such a thing?" she said, turning to look at him. He pulled the papers from his pocket.
"I got a letter. It is from Balthazaar." And this is where she fainted. By the stove.
She was only out a few seconds. By the time he jumped to grab her there on the floor, she was coming around. He helped her up and to a chair.
"Its true Josephina," he said, kneeling in front of her and trying to heal her pain -filled face somehow with his hands.
"Don't leave me now." she said.
"Read the letter, Josephina. Pack your bags. I will finish the souffle. "
THE DEPARTURE
They were on the road by noon. They would make it up the mountains if they drove through the night. They would spend some time there and rest. Get some food. Fuck. Sleep. Get up in the morning and mark our course out on the map. Move efficiently south through each little town and harbor. It is an art to pull into a town and gather information without arousing suspicion. One cannot go about holding up photos. Have you seen this man? This woman? You are seen as a hunter of people. And there are many in the south who are in hiding. The news of your inquiries will precede you into the next town and the next. You will get nowhere. He and Josephina would travel as tourists. Lovers on a holiday who have stolen away from some impossible reality back north. In essence, just two more people on the lam and hiding. Seen as such, they could perhaps find people here and there who would take them into their confidence. Over tequila perhaps a story slips out. Josephina is adept at this. Loosening the tongues of men so as to find out what she wants to know without asking the question.
THE WAY THINGS WENT DOWN
It was unusual. The way Josephina and Ricardo had hooked up back some time ago. He and Balthazaar had been like brothers since childhood. They were born on the same day of the month of the same year. But Riccardo was seven years was 7 years his elder. And now here they were. Riccardo, with a woman some 10 years older than he, and Balthazaar with her daughter. Or at least he was, until something went wrong and they are lost now from one another.
It was to have been a simple deal. Riccardo had made the arrangements. Balthazaar and Violet would make the exchange. A few precious stones he was middling up out of Africa to a collector whose name Riccardo dare not say aloud. Enough American dollars for all of them to live quite easily for some time. The deal was to go down on a charter boat amidst partying and pleasure fishing. Violet, while young, was as alluring as her mother. And she is a seamstress, as well. It would be relatively easy for her to conceal the stones in the hems of her clothing. And Balthazaar was renowned for his calm collected demeanor. He was at his best when backed against the wall.
So what went wrong? It's all Riccardo thought about as they drove southeast and into the night. Josephina curled up on the back seat and fell asleep. He headed the car up into the mountains. They should at least make La Coma by dawn, if the roads were not too rough. They might spend a day or two there poking around.
Monday, January 30, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
The writing is both intriguing and effortless.
Ha! Well, not exactly effortless...I do have to keep my fingers moving on the keyboard! Seriously though, I find myself writing a few sentences, then just stopping and re-reading those, then thinking about what to say next. Minutes go by. I go fix something to eat...or watch a movie. Sometimes in those interludes I see a whole paragraph, and where that would lead me. When I begin writing a thing I almost always have no idea of how it's going to turn out. In fact, I don't think I could write a story if I wasn't intrigued about what might happen next myself! And believe me, there's been many a time I suddenly stop and realize 'Crap! I have really painted myself into a corner!'
I love how many times in your stories your characters are on the road. It is symbolic and alluring for me because I always want to be on the road myself, inside and out. What else is there? Adventure, discovery, self-discovery, friendships and loves developing, making right, or at least making some sense, out of wrong. Diners, hotels, strange little towns, I love it all... I can see why Dee uses the word effortless because the reads are all so fluid.
I definitely understand road fever Stickup! And I love to put characters on the road!! And putting characters on the road opens up the realm of possibilities regarding the setting for the action, or ways to come across new characters. How many times have you seen a movie where somebody picks up a hitchhiker? Hah!
And yes, your mention of the road 'inside'. I like that. Allowing your mind to go places, see and learn new things, people, etc.
You have the art of allowing the story to seamlessly unfold, as if you truly are re-telling it in the exact detail as it happens - I think of all your wonderful writing, this particular story is shaping up to be the best one of all. In few words, we completely understand their mission and what what brought them there. We also want them to succeed, and sense the danger - and with the prize they seek, that of rescuing those whom they so desperately love, the stakes couldn't be higher.
There's passion, mystery, danger, romantic locations. and a mounting tension that is almost palaple - wow Dan, you are quite the maestro, my friend - I truly wish I had this as a full book in my hands, to curl up before and devour.
Oh, you make me feel so good, Shrinky. Thanks for the kind words.
I don't know, but for me there is some kind of charm, romance and mystery that is intrinsic to life south of the border, so to speak. I am glad if that sense of the land and the people come out in this tale.
Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Yang along, nonetheless get may be the make use of a Microsoft Office Standard 2010 typical enhance of greenbacks stimulates, even though clients are definitely not important, just like the getting the tunl coupled with exclusive, you have got to sector plug-in, must be to look for the exclusive sizes to be able to certified start , removing unpleasant oppositions. Microsoft office 2010
Post a Comment