This is a sad entry of Sandy's, so if you don't want to go there...don't.
August 3 About the Bad Day
It was hot as hell as we were going through Arkansas on Interstate 40. Billy shouted back to me that the bike was over-heating, and that we should pull off for awhile. That was fine with me, since we had been on the road since we left Amarillo at daybreak. I was tired and achy from clinging to Billy for hours - and hungry too. I shouted into his ear that we should stop and eat. So we took the next exit onto Highway 9. Billy wanted to make it to the 9-10 fork before we stopped. There was a little town on Highway 10 that he knew of, and there was a nice cafe there.. It was pleasant on the winding back road, and a lot cooler, with trees hanging out over the road. Leaning left, leaning right as we took the curves....so nice...like slow dancing. It was right there at the 9-10 fork where it happened. We were already leaning left around a curve when suddenly the fork was there -like out of nowhere. Billy throttled down and we leaned even harder to make it. It was a dizzy blur, but we were fine until we hit the dirt and gravel on the outside. Suddenly the bike seemed to just disappear out from under us. It happened in a flash but I remember it like it was all slow-motion. I was still clutching Billy -my arms tight around his belly, and I could see these guard-rails zooming toward us. Billy's head slammed right into one of them -and something gashed my face. Then we were just lying there and I couldn't see much because of blood in my eyes. I remember seeing Billy's bashed-in helmet still spinning on the asphalt. I was trying to get up, but Billy wasn't moving at all. I didn't see the bike anywhere, but I could hear it idling somewhere down the hillside. They found it later, about 20 feet down the slope - upside down in a thicket of wild blackberries. Ironic, in that Billy and I used to go berry picking all the time. We would make cobbler and pig-out in front of the tube.
Some guy pulled up in a truck and called the sheriff in this town nearby. An ambulance came, and I rode in the back with Billy. I could see he was breathing but he wouldn't wake up. I remember trying to reach over - wanting to shake him - but I couldn't move my arm. Turns out it was broken. I never did feel any pain - guess I was in shock. They say I passed out somewhere along the way to the hospital. I was still groggy when they wheeled Billy out of ER and put him onto a helicopter - taking him to the trauma center in Little Rock. I guess I was delirious. I asked the doctor if they were taking Billy to heaven. Maybe that would have been better. Its been two months now, and Billy still won't wake up.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
very good writing. it pulled me in.
Post a Comment