Sunday, March 8, 2009

Introduction to the Dream

This is a story/poem I've started. I will try to finish it within a week.


A Dream of Wonder, Blue Dancer, and the Far Side of the Sky

Once upon under
An old Beech tree,
And upon a bed of moss,
A boy constructed
With but one eye open
A most brilliant
Crystal glass ball.

And on a day
Just like this one,
He spun it.
Sitting there
As he imagined
An Indian might,
With legs tucked up
And crossed,
And shoulders pulled back
To the elephant-skin
Smooth gray bark.

Spun it somehow,
Maybe by the heat
Of his palms rising
Above his cool
Imagination,
And with trembling fingers.

Spun it
Into weightlessness,
Where it hovered
Some small distance
Above his cupped hands
For the briefest of time
And then dropped,
And stopped spinning,
And simply rested there
On his fingertips.

In that moment
He could feel
The sky against his skin.
It made him bow his head
and shut
His solitary eye.

He could feel the wind
Shaking the limbs above
Into a soft dance
That let the sky descend
In slips of blue,
To dance likewise
On the spinning
Glass ball.
And the rhythm
was reflected
To the boy's bent face.
A shimmering dance
of blue sun spots
and orange shadows.

And it came to the boy
Quite like a whisper
from the wind,
And quite like
The goose bumps
On his skin,
As the blue sparkled
Crystal sky light
on his face,
This dream
of
Wonder,
Blue Dancer,
And the Far Side
of the Sky.

2 comments:

Ballerina Girl said...

good...
I like the idea of "a day just like today"
I know I am being super picky here, but that day will translate differently for everyone, depending on when they read it.
and it amuses me that it is any day..
now, sorry, I know the story is about the boy, the ball and endless possibilities with a spin, but hey, just having fun reading your works, admiring you sculptures, loving your fotos..
How about that day is TODAY and it is MYHTOPOLIS Day!
hahah, have a good one!
BG

mythopolis said...

I need to finish this...maybe by this weekend...its kind of long, so I will probably reformat so as to reduce the amount of scrolling required! OH! Its Mythopolis Day? I guess we should have a parade here in Pottsville...everybody bring out their pots and bang on them! Yay! : )