Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Looking Back at What Remains

Flat work from late 1970s-early 1980s. Mostly pen and Prismacolor pencil. Mostly I was working with some loose concept in my mind I called "poetic diagrams". But some are just whimsical subjects drawn while living in Texas. Sorry about camera quality, but mostly I just pulled out some of the older stuff, unrolled it on the desk under the lamp, and snapped shots. Some are showing their years. Some fading, others damaged by moisture, or just my general laziness in storing them.

Armadillo Daydream (poetic diagram)
Two Weather Maps (poetic diagrams)

Flying Cows. For some reason whenever I saw a long horn steer, I imagined them flying.
A faded Valentine. The ink on this one is fading. It was called "The Day I stumbled Onto Your Heart"
A penned doodle, so to speak. Affectionately called "Daymare". Daymares are like nightmares, except they happen in the daytime, and you are not just dreaming.
24"x 30", but now with some water damage, unfortunately. It had something to do with the idea of inspiration.
Another one of my cowboy characterizations. Originally 24"x 30", but water damaged now all along its outer edges.
Thinker type guy.

.

11 comments:

BLOGitse said...

I really, really like your style!
Do you draw today? If not you should.
I'd like to see how you do it today.
How about something black and white - just with a pencil?

BLOGitse

mythopolis said...

Thanks, BLOGitse, Yes I'm sorta thinking about doing some new drawings. It's too hot to work outside, so might as well lounge around in the house, and see how it feels to draw again for awhile.

NicoleB, Egypt said...

I think the weather map and the thinker type guy are my Favs.
Lovely work :D!

BLOGitse said...

How about drawing 'tools in my kitchen' - what ever that means to you! :)

BLOGitse

mythopolis said...

Tools in my kitchen, eh? I don't know. First thing that comes to mind is a sharp knife and a bloody finger. But you've already covered that! It might make for a good murder story, however. Besides, I'm getting tired of writing mushy stuff with happy ever after endings!

BLOGitse said...

Then write what YOU want! That's how it should be...
But you know how we want to feel good after a bloody murder or two.
I'm sure you have other tools in your kitchen than knives...pencils, pots and pans, maybe something we can't imagine! :)

BLOGitse

mythopolis said...

So funny, BLOGitse, but you have convinced me. I will try to post a drawing of 'tools in my kitchen' soon!

BLOGitse said...

GREAT! Can't wait...
Soon it's time to go to bed...
Nite! :)

BLOGitse

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

I love your drawing style, Dan. I've loved every single one you've ever posted, and would love to see you doing some new ones.

SnoozyVic said...

I saw thunderclaps over the mountains on the first weather map. I love these pictures. Would love to see more, but without any title. Just to see what our imagination does with them. Great stuff.

mythopolis said...

SnoozyVic, thanks for dropping in. Glad you like this stuff. Yes, sometimes its better to just let the image be there for people to project their own meanings into them.