Evidence of Violet
I suppose the story might just as well begin with the letter from Balthazaar. It was confusing, and shed little light on what had happened before. But, the envelope and contents, written undoubtedly in his own hand, established that he was alive.
The date on the letter is some 10 days old. He was alive then. Perhaps he is still alive. Perhaps she is alive as well.
My friend, 08, July
I squat somewhere in the clutter of crumpled papers on the floor in this room somewhere in the back of my mind. There are so many rooms now. I get lost wandering around day after day. I stumble for hours along the dimly lit corridors. Opening and closing doors of chequered history. There is evidence of Violet. I haven't found her yet, but there are signs that she has been here. In this room of her notes. I can't make sense of them. But she wrote them for some reason.
It is a day in July. I am somewhere near the coast. The dirtiness of the window through which I stare deepens the dreariness of the street below. It is dark and empty like me. Down by the corner market, a pink neon angel flickers and falters as though threatening to die. It was there, beneath that sign, I saw a vision of her so real as to cause me to run frantically down the stairs. The street was empty. She must have been a ghost. A disappearing shadow formed only by my longing to find her. I think I am getting close.
I leave it to you to speculate as to my whereabouts and the direction of my search. Such things I must not mention here, for fear of this letter's possible interception. But we have known each other since childhood. Long enough for each to understand what the other might be thinking. Remember the many games we played? Do you?
- Balthazaar
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment