
I dressed up the door with a window, and a little bit of trim wood.

Some decor for the side of the shack. I called this one, 'Wolf in Sheep's Clothing".

Mesquite was the wood of choice for cook-outs, but I scavenged a few limbs to make a chair for the shack.

Some friends from Tennessee hung around for a few days.

A small bird stands outside the shack. We made six of these in order to study how best to build the big one. The big one would be 21 feet tall, and 40 feet long, so we needed to know what we were doing.

Thanks to the Any Mountain Bluegrass boys, and some other talented pickers, there was often a festive atmosphere going on.





I know it looks like I had one too many here, but I was framed! The neighboring rancher called me over for a beer with some of his buddies. They rigged a lawn chair so it would collapse upon sitting in it. I was handed a cold beer, and told to 'take a load off'. They were ready to snap the shot as I went down. However, take note. I did not spill the beer!

The daughters of a friend pose as nicely mannered young ladies.

Actually, they were very serious little mischief makers!

Olin makes a mirror frame for a friend out of Valentine candy!

And here, she expresses her appreciation!

To get started on the big roadrunner, we had to build a sturdy armature or skeleton. Sometimes it was better to work in the cooler air of night.

The armature is constructed primarily of 1" re-bar iron, although the legs were heavier gauge to withstand the weight, and the desert winds.

The roadrunner's torso is loaded on a flatbed for a ride out to the landfill where we will attach the head, and tail feathers.

We begin to dress the bird out in trash. Here, automobile headlights make nice eyes, and some rusty roofing tin makes a nice surface for the wings that we would later layer over with more trash.

It is pretty hot working under the desert sun, so we made a shady oasis on the edge of the landfill, using thrown away chairs, and even a big plastic palm tree!

We made regular trips to the dumpster behind the local Goodwill to retrieve shoes they had discarded. We cut the shoes up on a band saw, and used the soles for 'feathering' the bird. Darker shoes on the neck.

The roadrunner's breast is typically 'whitish', so we used white shoe soles there.

The bird sits surrounded with trash we gathered from the landfill for possible use.

The big bird's final perch on a mesa overlooking Interstate 10 and the city of Las Cruces.

One of the smaller bird models loaded for a trip to Santa Fe, and the Children's Museum there.

One of many reasons New Mexico is called The Land of Enchantment. The sunsets.
6 comments:
Dan, I have always wanted to see the Roadrunner in person. Great photos!
Hey, it is still there waiting for your next road trip! I wonder by now, how many tourists have had their photos taken in front of this bird? By the way, I do recall you showing up back when Olin and I did the Used Christmas tree tree. In fact, I think I have a picture of you there.
Ps, my scanned photos are always so dirty with dust when enlarged, and unfortunately I am too lazy to clean them up. Glad you enjoyed them, though.
Love all the creativity you've shared in this entry, very especially the fabulously epic bird (although the chair trick's probably a close second - hee hee!).
What an epic post. You have lived such a rich life. That Roadrunner is amazing! I love the pictures of the little girls. I wonder where they are now and how old they must be today. I bet they would love to get copies if you could track them down. If I ever make it back to New Mexico, and I sure hope I do, you'll have to give me directions to the Roadrunner.
Tatty, thanks. Yeh those guys were real pranksters! Arthur the rancher who lived there could often be heard in the distance shouting 'Hey, Joe..." a refrain from a Hendrix tune. He had among other animals, peacocks, and they would come over at sunset and roost in the tree over my shack. Amazing!
Hi, Stickup. Well the girls, or their dad probably have copies since I always printed everything in duplicate for the purpose of handing them out. The girls are probably in their mid 20s by now. The little baby in the doorway of the shack(Olin's daughter) is about 18 and going to school in the Netherlands. She writes now and then. Well, yes...you need to take that trip to New Mx. You would need a lot of film. I could definitely map a trip out for you that would take you all around Arizona and New Mx, and eventually, right past the big bid!
Post a Comment